Sunday, March 29, 2009

Why a legal Defense Fund?

The Courts are preparing to change parental custody of my daugher, from me to her "f", in California. I do not agree with this change. I agreed that she needed a different visitation schedule i.e. longer summer break and some holiday time. But I do not agree with the current recommendation that she (almost 8 years old) be the one traveling between states 2-3 times a month. The travel schedule would prevent her from being in a church choir, participating in dance performances or being engaged in either community, and needless to say I believe it would diminish the bond that she and I share. There is no need to uproot her from Colorado.

Currently she visits with her "f" and his family once a month for a weekend. She enjoys her visits, and loves her "f" and his family. She also understands that I do not like him; and that it is o.k. for her to like him even though I do not. In fact I use our relationship as an illustration about dealing with someone even though you do not like them. I make it a goal to support her relationship with her "f". So that she can come to her own conclusions about his personality, morals and values.


$ 10,000 to get a hire a licensed family evaluator to review my daughters environment with me and prepare a recommendation to the court on the best interest of my daughter.
$ 20,000 to hire an attorney in California to represent my case at trial.
$ 2,800 to travel to California for hearings and an extensive trial.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Thanks for stopping by my blog. Glad you did.

    I feel your pain. I've been divorced for 7 years and still have ongoing legal/custody issues with my ex. (don't even ask about those expenses!) I also have a 3 1/2 year old and have been a single mom to her since right after conception as well. Her father is no picnic either.

    Where in CO are you? I'm SE metro Denver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are in Aurora. Wow! you were brave to try again. I think if i do add anyone to my family it will be through adoption. I don't want to take the risk of fighting with someone again. The storm we were expecting is much smaller. My dog and I have been sitting in front of the fireplace most of the day.

    I think the mindset of a mom who decided to raise their child on their own before the child was born vs. the mom who planned to raise a child with a partner/spouse and to then be divorced is like night and day. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete